iFixit has accomplished its in depth teardown of the Apple AirPods Max wi-fi headphones. The teardown has been in progress for the reason that headphones went on sale and is now full with a full checklist of all of the chips onboard together with a teardown of the Sony WH-1000XM4 and the Bose Headphones 700 alongside for comparability.
Listed here are a few of the key takeaways from this teardown.
- The grille for drivers is held by the standard Apple pentalobe screws. Nonetheless, they don’t seem to be meant to be turned all the way in which however relatively half-way to launch a locking wedge on the within. Regardless of doing that, the grille will not come off because it’s nonetheless held down by some glue.
- The twin cell battery pack is situated solely on one facet, the fitting facet to be precise. Regardless of this, and the left facet having no counterweight, the headphones seemingly aren’t unbalanced.
- The battery has 2.54Wh capability. The Sony 1000XM4 have 4.1Wh whereas the Bose 700 have 2.39Wh.
- The hinge has a reasonably elaborate and complex electromechanical joint. This enables the hinge to switch electrical sign with out having cables operating by means of the scarf into the earcups.
- Maybe essentially the most fascinating factor about this whole design is that headband plug into the earcups utilizing what seems to be like a extremely thick Lightning connector. By urgent right into a gap utilizing a SIM ejector software, you possibly can simply detach the earcup fully from the scarf.
Total, iFixit discovered the AirPods Max to be surprisingly serviceable, although issues just like the glue below the grille and the selection of screws used make it tough to take action. They gave them 6/10, which is their first non-zero rating for an AirPods product.
Whereas in comparison with the Sony and the Bose alternate options, the Apple headphones exhibited superior craftsmanship in a method that nearly justifies their $550 value and the internals make the opposite two headphones “appear like toys compared”.
You possibly can take a look at the complete teardown, together with the x-rays, movies, and chip particulars within the hyperlink beneath.