This week prosecutors have been laying out their case for the second and third-degree homicide and manslaughter of George Floyd.
Derek Chauvin, 45, is accused of murdering Mr Floyd in Minneapolis final 12 months by kneeling on the 46-year-old’s neck for greater than 9 minutes, as he lay face-down in handcuffs.
Mr Floyd was being detained after he was accused of utilizing a counterfeit $20 invoice at a store.
Former police officer Chauvin has pleaded not responsible to the costs, together with his defence crew arguing he was simply doing what he was skilled to do.
Video of George Floyd’s loss of life is the cornerstone of the prosecution case, whereas the defence disputes the reason for his loss of life, claiming medicine had been concerned.
George Floyd Killing: The Trial – We’ll carry you reside steady protection of court docket proceedings within the trial of Derek Chauvin on our web site, app, YouTube and Sky Pop Up Channel on 524
Listed here are 10 key moments from the trial up to now.
1. Emergency dispatcher Jena Scurry instructed the court docket stated she was so involved by the remedy of George Floyd she noticed on a CCTV monitor that she determined to “snitch” to the sergeant on obligation.
The officers had been on high of Mr Floyd for therefore lengthy, she instructed the jury, she thought the video feed had frozen.
2. Passer-by Donald Williams was one of the vital vocal witnesses to be known as within the trial up to now.
A wrestler and combined martial arts skilled, he stated he remonstrated with the officers holding Mr Floyd down for failing to verify for a pulse.
He then dialled 911 as a result of he stated he believed he had witnessed the homicide of Mr Floyd.
3. Darnella Frazier was 17 when she recorded the viral video of Mr Floyd’s final moments that sparked worldwide outrage.
She stated because the incident she had stayed up some nights apologising to the reminiscence of George Floyd for not doing extra to intervene.
4. Genevieve Hansen was not solely an eyewitness however an skilled witness too.
An off-duty firefighter, she tried to strategy Mr Floyd to verify his situation however was instructed to maneuver again. She additionally known as 911 to report what she noticed.
5. Christopher Martin was the cashier within the Cup Meals store the place Mr Floyd was accused of utilizing a cast $20 invoice to purchase cigarettes.
He instructed the jury he felt responsible for not refusing to just accept it within the first place, in order to keep away from what got here subsequent.
6. Charles McMillian was one of many first bystanders on the scene, urging first Mr Floyd to conform after which cops to indicate him compassion.
After it was throughout he instructed Chauvin he didn’t respect what he had carried out. Chauvin replied: “That’s one individual’s opinion.”
7. George Floyd’s girlfriend Courtney Ross grew to become emotional as she described their relationship and their struggles with opioid dependancy.
She acknowledged Mr Floyd had suffered an overdose two months earlier than he died and was utilizing once more two weeks earlier than he died.
The defence declare Mr Floyd died of a drug overdose, not Chauvin’s knee on his neck.
8. Paramedics Seth Bravinder and Derek Smith instructed the court docket that Mr Floyd appeared unresponsive once they arrived on the scene.
Mr Smith checked for a pulse whereas Chauvin was nonetheless kneeling on Mr Floyd’s neck. “In layman’s phrases, he was useless,” he stated.
9. We heard snippets of Chauvin’s voice from that day.
In a cellphone dialog together with his supervisor, recorded on his body-worn digital camera, he failed to say that he had knelt on Mr Floyd who, he stated, was “going loopy” and refusing to be put right into a police automobile.
10. The ultimate witness of the week was the longest-serving officer within the Minneapolis police division.
Richard Zimmerman had attended the scene of Mr Floyd’s loss of life and reviewed body-camera proof.
“Completely pointless”, was how he described the restraint of Mr Floyd. “In case your knee is on somebody’s neck – that might kill them.”