Matt Partitions secured Nice Britain’s fiftieth medal of the Tokyo Olympics by taking gold within the males’s omnium race as Liam Heath additionally gained a hard-earned bronze within the males’s kayak single 200m on Thursday.
The pair served up eye-catching moments for Group GB on day 13 of the Video games, as did boxer Galal Yafai who gained by way of an exhilarating semi-final to succeed in the gold-medal match within the 52kg flyweight division.
Dina Asher-Smith made a return to the monitor as Britain’s 4x100m relay staff secured a spot within the closing, however the relay story was not so optimistic for the US males’s 4x100m staff, who had been deemed an “embarrassment” by American dash legends Carl Lewis and Michael Johnson after being eradicated of their warmth.
Elsewhere, 18-year-old Keegan Palmer placed on a gripping show to win park skateboarding gold for Australia, who now sit fourth within the medal desk, with Nice Britain fifth.
Britain will look to enhance their medal tally when Holly Bradshaw competes within the ladies’s pole vault from 11:20 BST.
Surprise Partitions brings up 50
Partitions, 23, improved on the omnium outcomes of Ed Clancy who gained bronze in 2012 and Mark Cavendish who took silver in 2016, to win Nice Britain’s first monitor biking gold of the Video games.
He ended the occasion on 153 factors, 24 greater than silver medallist Campbell Stewart of New Zealand, whereas Italy’s defending champion Elia Viviani took bronze.
BBC Sport’s 1992 Olympic gold medallist Chris Boardman mentioned: “It was a dominant efficiency from begin to end. He did not put a foot improper anyplace. Tactically and bodily he was class.”
Partitions, who examined optimistic for Covid-19 in March, sealed Group GB’s fiftieth medal in Tokyo and the sixteenth gold.
“It has been a tough day however I got here into that factors race with a little bit of a lead and respiratory room,” mentioned Partitions.
“Thanks to all my household and buddies, I would not be right here with out them, particularly my mother and father.”
Two-time defending champion Jason Kenny’s nine-year reign as males’s spring champion ended when was crushed within the quarter-finals by Dutch world champion Harrie Lavreysen, whereas Katy Marchant noticed her keirin marketing campaign lower quick within the quarter-finals after she was caught up in a crash.
Heath recovers for bronze
Kayaker Heath – the Olympic champion in 2016 – initially regarded like he could come up quick after a poor begin to his closing, solely to discover a surge that earned him a nail-biting photograph end for the bronze medal.
“I used to be possibly a bit hesitant off the beginning and did not attain my potential when it comes to peak pace,” mentioned Heath, who clocked 35.20 seconds behind Hungarian winner Sandor Totka on 35.03.
“I’m nonetheless pleased with the efficiency.”
On profitable one other medal, he mentioned: “It’s onerous to place into phrases. It’s what you’re employed in direction of to be at your greatest for these occasions.”
Heath, who has beforehand mentioned retirement after the Video games was possible, added: “It has been a curler coaster, over such a protracted time frame within the prolonged Olympic cycle. So many highs and lows, so many checks and classes. I’m feeling actually good, to be sincere.”
From manufacturing unit to combating for gold
Yafai additionally discovered himself misplaced for phrases after progressing to the Olympic closing, the place he’ll stroll away with a minimum of a silver medal.
The Birmingham fighter began at tempo towards Kazakhstan’s Saken Bibossinov, scoring a standing rely in spherical one earlier than the competition developed into an exhilarating back-and-forth affair.
Yafai hugged a visibly distraught Bibossinov as his narrowest of victories was learn. He’ll now face Carlo Paalam of the Philippines in Saturday’s 52kg flyweight closing.
Yafai, 28, is a former automotive manufacturing unit employee, and mentioned: “I used to be doing the garbage, selecting up containers, delivering components. Only a skivvy job actually. However now I am on the verge of turning into Olympic champion.
“I am unable to imagine it. It is ridiculous, it is a dream. It is the Olympic gold is not it, man? Olympic gold is loopy. Simply think about being the Olympic champion.”
And BBC Radio 5 Stay boxing analyst Steve Bunce remarked: “He simply would not be denied. We’ll get a gold from him on Saturday.”
Monitor returns and ’embarrassment’
Elsewhere on Thursday, heptathlete Katarina Johnson-Thompson mentioned she could be taking time to “heal my physique and spirit” after damage compelled her out of the Video games.
Huge-name accidents have blighted Britain’s medal hunt on the monitor, together with Asher-Smith, who withdrew from the 200m due to a hamstring grievance however selected to compete within the 4x100m relay on Thursday.
Asher-Smith ran leg three and together with Asha Philip, Imani Lansiquot and Daryll Neita set a brand new British document of 41.55 seconds.
“There was by no means any doubt in my thoughts that I might be lining up right here as we speak as a result of the relay’s actually vital, we bought a bronze medal in Rio,” Asher-Smith informed BBC Sport.
However Group USA’s efforts within the males’s actually weren’t sufficient as they completed sixth in a warmth that includes some poor baton exchanges.
The US staff gained the occasion on the 2019 World Championships however haven’t gained a 4x100m Olympic gold since 2000.
“This is not rocket science,” four-time Olympic champion Michael Johnson tweeted.
“Making an attempt to get two individuals operating full pace to change a baton inside a 20m zone requires apply! Particularly when you have not gained this occasion since Sydney 2000 as a result of drops and zone violations!Embarrassing and ridiculous.”
9-time Olympic gold medallist Carl Lewis added: “The USA staff did all the pieces improper within the males’s relay. The passing system is improper, athletes operating the improper legs, and it was clear that there was no management. It was a complete embarrassment, and fully unacceptable.”
What else occurred on day 13?
- An outdoor medal probability disappeared for Group GB when Andrew Pozzi positioned seventh within the males’s 110m hurdles closing, clocking 13.3 seconds as Jamaica’s Hansle Parchment took gold in 13.04.
- Group USA’s dominant shot put star Ryan Crouser beat his personal Olympic document to win gold, launching 23.30m along with his closing effort of the day.
- The US basketball staff had been buoyed by Kevin Durant and Devin Booker as they got here from behind to beat Australia and arrange a closing towards France or Slovenia.
- American Nelly Korda shot an excellent nine-under 62 to take a four-stroke lead on the midway mark within the ladies’s golf.
- A teenage battle performed out within the ladies’s 10m platform diving as China’s 14-year-old Quan Hongchan edged out team-mate Chen Yuxi, 15, to take gold. Nice Britain’s Andrea Spendolini-Siriex and Lois Toulson positioned seventh and ninth respectively.
- Callum Wilkinson completed tenth for Nice Britain within the males’s 20km stroll, whereas Tom Bosworth was twenty fifth.
- Nice Britain’s Hector Pardoe mentioned he thought he had “misplaced a watch” after being elbowed within the males’s marathon swim and consequently pulled out of the race.
- Hockey: The boys’s event concludes with Australia taking over Belgium for gold (11:00 BST)
- Pole vault: GB’s Holly Bradshaw will characteristic within the ladies’s occasion (from 11:20 BST)
- 1500m: Nice Britain has Jake Wightman, Jake Heyward and Josh Kerr competing within the males’s semi-finals (12:00 BST)
- 400m: Grenada’s Kirani James and American Michael Norman lead the gold-medal contenders within the males’s closing.