The Metropolis of Kington has launched a brief listing of Ojibwe or Mohawk names for the long-awaited “third crossing” bridge.
The six names are supposed to acknowledge and honour the area’s Indigenous tradition and historical past and are a part of the town’s effort at reconciliation.
That is the town’s largest infrastructure mission. The $180-million bridge will span the Cataraqui River and function a serious hyperlink with the town’s east finish.
“That is about constructing bridges, not solely from one shore of the Cataraqui to the opposite, however inside our group as we work towards therapeutic,” Mayor Bryan Paterson mentioned in a press release Monday.
In July 2020, Kingston council dedicated to naming what has lengthy been referred to as the town’s third crossing in honour of previous and present contributions of Indigenous communities within the area.
The short-listed names have been launched Monday:
- Aazhogan: the Anishinaabemowin (Ojibwe) phrase for “bridge.”
- Àhskwa’:the Kainien’keha (Mohawk) phrase for “bridge.” This submission was introduced ahead by the Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte, and was chosen, the town mentioned, to honour Indigenous conventions of naming objects by describing what they’re and the way they are going to be used.
- Nibi: the Anishinaabemowin (Ojibwe) phrase for “water.”
- Ohne:Ka: the Kainien’keha (Mohawk) phrase for “water.”
- Tekarón:yake: means “two Skies” in Kainien’keha (Mohawk).
- Waaban: an Anishinaabemowin (Ojibwe) phrase with interpretations regarding the jap route the place the solar comes up, the daybreak of a brand new day or the morning mild.
The town will probably be operating public engagement on the names till Nov. 29.
This may embrace data periods, shows at native faculties, resident surveys and an academic marketing campaign.
On time and on funds — Kingston’s third bridge crossing needs to be open by this time subsequent 12 months.
Together with the First Peoples Group, an Ottawa-based consulting agency employed by the town to assist with its reconciliation efforts, the town will then collect the general public suggestions, and the popular identify will probably be later introduced to council for affirmation.
For extra data on the totally different names, see the town’s web site.
© 2021 International Information, a division of Corus Leisure Inc.