1. “I just left Walter Reed Medical Center and it’s really something very special. The doctors, the nurses, the first responders and I learned so much about coronavirus.”
2. “And one thing that’s for certain — don’t let it dominate you.”
To be clear: Donald Trump was the below the care of an enormous staff of the some of the most effective medical doctors on the planet. He has entry to any and each therapy to minimize the consequences of the virus and to shorten its period. And it seems as if he had a comparatively gentle kind of Covid-19. His urging to not let the virus “dominate” you suggests that everybody who will get it’ll have all of these benefits. Which, of course, is ridiculous.
3. “Don’t be afraid of it. You’re gonna beat it. “
When I first heard this line, I could not really consider it. Like, I needed to rewind the video and hear once more. But he really stated it. The President of a rustic that has misplaced 210,000 fellow residents to this virus — and with projections suggesting that quantity might double over the approaching winter months — stated that folks should not be afraid of the virus and that they’re “gonna beat it.” Talk a couple of tin ear.
4. “We have the best medical equipment, we have the best medicines, all developed recently. And you’re gonna beat it.”
5. “I went — I didn’t feel so good. Two days ago — I could have left two days ago.”
In which the President means that he wasn’t really very sick and that the medical doctors most likely saved him within the hospital longer than they need to have. It’s most likely price mentioning right here that the President is just not, the truth is, a medical physician or an infectious illness professional.
6. “Two days ago I felt great. Like better than I have in a long time. … I said just recently, better than 20 years ago.”
Again, Trump downplays the virus purposely right here. It’s not simply that he might have left the hospital a lot ahead of he did, it is that he really felt higher two days after being recognized with Covid-19 than he did 20 years in the past. The purposeful lessening of the severity of Covid-19 — and its course of an infection — will undoubtedly lead some Trump supporters to aim to “tough it out” if and after they get sick. And as a result of not everybody has a light case and is the President of the United States, some of them will see way more adverse outcomes than Trump.
7. “Don’t let it dominate. Don’t let it take over your lives. Don’t let that happen.”
The built-in assumption right here is that folks can keep away from letting coronavirus “take over your lives.” Which, for a lot of, is solely not the case. No one desires to get very sick or die from this virus. But simply to reiterate, it has the truth is killed greater than 210,000 Americans. And there is a massive distinction between following acceptable mitigation recommendation — mask-wearing, social distancing — and letting Covid-19 “dominate” your life. Trump appears to lump all of it collectively.
8. “We’re the greatest country in the world. We’re going back. We’re going back to work. We’re gonna be out front.”
9. “As your leader, I had to do that. I knew there’s danger to it but I had to do it.”
10. “I stood out front. I led. Nobody that’s a leader would not do what I did.”
So, to be a “leader” it’s important to get the coronavirus? By brazenly mocking a mockery of tips to gradual the unfold of a virus and making your self way more more likely to get it? I’d recommend that an precise chief would do every little thing they might to maintain individuals secure — primarily by demonstrating finest practices in combating the illness.
11. “And I know there’s a risk, there’s a danger. But that’s OK. And now I’m better and maybe I’m immune? I don’t know.”
12. “But don’t let it dominate your lives. Get out there, be careful.”
Again, many individuals haven’t any alternative as as to if Covid-19 dominates their lives or not. And reasonably than merely say “be careful,” why would not the President say “wear a mask, keep your distance and wash your hands?” You know, confirmed methods to mitigate the unfold.
13. “We have the best medicines in the world. And it all happened very shortly, and they’re all getting approved and the vaccines are coming momentarily.”
14. “Thank you very much and Walter Reed — what a group of people. Thank you very much.”
This is about the one truthful and accountable factor Trump stated in all 85 seconds.