As the US edges nearer towards 9 million whole circumstances, voters are out casting ballots in a number of swing states the place outbreaks are widening — making it troublesome to choose which approach they may vote.
President Donald Trump and his rival, former Vice President Joe Biden, went head-to-head in a kind of battlegrounds on Thursday, exhibiting their sharply divergent approaches to the virus at dueling rallies in Florida.
In spite of that vulnerability, the President downplayed the autumn surge throughout his large rally in Tampa — the place there was no social distancing and few supporters wore masks. At one level, Trump advised rallygoers: “We know the disease. We social distance. We do all of the things that you have to do. … If you get close, wear a mask.”
YOU ASKED. WE ANSWERED
Q: Do individuals in California actually eat by way of their masks?
Californians usually are not required to put on “complex” or “special” masks, because the President claimed on Wednesday; fundamental face coverings, even selfmade ones, are acceptable there. Though Gov. Gavin Newsom has imposed a statewide masks order, Californians usually are not required to put on masks always; they’ll take away them when at dwelling, when alone in a room outdoors their dwelling, when open air and greater than 6 toes from others, and when consuming or ingesting. And whereas individuals can transmit the coronavirus or get contaminated whereas carrying masks, face coverings have confirmed efficient in decreasing the probabilities of transmission; they’re much higher than “nothing.”
WHAT’S IMPORTANT TODAY
Many counties that hosted Trump rallies had a big enhance in coronavirus circumstances
The 17 rallies occurred between August 17 and September 26. Of the host counties that had elevated an infection charges, eight had declining charges within the previous month earlier than the rally. The different six counties already had growing charges of an infection.
Europe tried a scalpel on the second wave. Now it is going again to the sledgehammer
Germany and France each introduced new four-week nationwide lockdowns on Wednesday night time — an acknowledgement that their makes an attempt to management the outbreaks by way of native measures have failed. They adopted the Czech Republic and Ireland, which put country-wide restrictions in place earlier this month. Spain and the United Kingdom might be subsequent.
Taiwan simply went 200 days with no regionally transmitted Covid-19 case. Here’s how they did it
As a lot of the world struggles to comprise new waves of the Covid-19 pandemic, Taiwan simply marked its 200th consecutive day with no regionally transmitted case of the illness.
China’s most managed area is dealing with the nation’s largest coronavirus outbreak in months
While the remainder of the nation is reporting solely a handful of each day circumstances — with most of these imported — Xinjiang has this week recorded dozens of recent infections.
It’s the nation’s largest coronavirus cluster since greater than 180 infections have been reported within the capital Beijing in June. And it has raised eyebrows, given the heavy surveillance and safety prevalent within the area, and the drastic response the federal government enacted earlier this 12 months.
ON OUR RADAR
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin are actually engaged in a public disagreement, casting new doubt on whether or not they are going to be in a position to attain settlement on stimulus laws even after the November election.
- An influential model of the coronavirus pandemic has predicted 399,000 whole coronavirus deaths within the US by Feb. 1, a 15,000-death enhance over final week’s prediction.
- Clemson’s star quarterback Trevor Lawrence checks optimistic for Covid-19 and won’t play Saturday in opposition to Boston College.
- In what might be a glimpse into the way forward for air journey, United Airlines will start providing free coronavirus checks to passengers on choose routes.
- Parisians rushed to escape town earlier than a recent lockdown got here into pressure, inflicting a snarl of visitors within the French capital on Thursday night time.
- Poland’s total number of coronavirus infections has tripled in lower than a month, reaching greater than 300,000 whole circumstances.
- Germany has reported file new Covid-19 case numbers for a 3rd straight day.
There are 9.9 million Americans who usually are not up-to-date on their hire or mortgage funds, and vulnerable to eviction. Long earlier than Covid-19, the United States was dealing with a homelessness disaster. Now, because the financial toll of the pandemic weighs on households, many are scrambling to determine how to receive or maintain a spot they name dwelling.
“There are other symptoms that I have, so many years after, that I think are resonating with your Covid long-haulers, people who talk about, you know, brain fog, difficulty concentrating … difficulty making new memories.” — Dr. Craig Spencer, Ebola survivor