YOU ASKED. WE ANSWERED
Q: Why aren’t deaths rising as quick in Covid-19’s second wave?
Researchers monitoring Covid-19 fatality charges say the pattern might be pushed by age — within the first wave of the pandemic, aged folks have been hit significantly onerous, however with the virus now circulating extra broadly amongst youthful folks, deaths have dropped (Note: that does not imply the virus itself has grow to be any much less lethal). Treatments for the coronavirus have additionally improved, and healthcare suppliers at the moment are extra skilled in coping with Covid-19 sufferers, which could possibly be one other issue conserving charges decrease.
WHAT’S IMPORTANT TODAY
These are the somber indicators of the second wave within the US
In Utah, hospitals could possibly be days away from utilizing a affected person’s age, well being and different elements to resolve who can stay in overcrowded intensive care items. In El Paso, Texas, funeral properties are making ready further refrigeration items. In Wisconsin, a hospital facility has been arrange within the state truthful grounds to cope with an overflow of sufferers.
Europe is once more the epicenter of the worldwide pandemic
In Europe, the image of the pandemic will get grimmer by the day. The continent is reporting the best variety of new instances for the second week in a row at greater than 1.three million — a rise of 33% in contrast to the earlier week, WHO mentioned, and contributing to 46%, or almost half, of all new instances globally this week.
Concerns over efficacy and security linger over Putin’s much-hyped Covid-19 vaccine
In August, Russian state media rolled out the crimson carpet for a bombshell announcement — President Vladimir Putin, from his residence outdoors Moscow, unveiled what he mentioned was the world’s first registered coronavirus vaccine, meant to convey Russia nearer to the top of a devastating pandemic.
ON OUR RADAR
- Flying may be safer than grocery purchasing or consuming out, a new Harvard study suggests.
- A Dodgers player was yanked off the sector in the midst of their World Series championship-winning recreation due to a optimistic Covid take a look at — after which he returned to have fun with the workforce afterwards.
- Hawaii will quickly enable vacationers from Japan to enter with out present process quarantine, so long as they current a unfavourable Covid-19 take a look at earlier than flying.
- The South Korean capital Seoul will ramp up Covid-19 management measures forward of Halloween to stop cluster infections.
- South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has gone into quarantine after a visitor at a dinner he attended on the weekend examined optimistic for the coronavirus.
“If you are going to host a Thanksgiving dinner, the CDC recommends doing it outdoors, with friends and family from your neighborhood.” — CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta