In simply eight months, Covid-19 has killed extra Americans than the flu did over the past 5 flu seasons mixed.
The novel coronavirus can also be way more contagious than the flu. While analysis exhibits that somebody with the flu infects a mean of about 1.28 different folks, somebody with Covid-19 infects a mean of about 2 to three different folks when mitigation efforts corresponding to stay-at-home orders or masks usually are not in place.
On high of that, the coronavirus may be unfold for a lot of days with out signs. The incubation interval for the flu is way shorter, that means persons are seemingly to begin feeling sick earlier and keep away from contact with others.
There’s additionally a vaccine accessible for the flu and specialists say the variety of flu deaths could possibly be drastically decreased if extra folks acquired flu photographs.
YOU ASKED. WE ANSWERED
Q. Is it protected to get a flu shot within the fall?
A: Yes. And please achieve this, medical doctors say.
This 12 months, it is “more important than ever to get a flu shot because we will almost certainly face the double whammy of flu season coinciding the same time as surging cases of Covid-19,” emergency room doctor Dr. Leana Wen stated.
And a flu/coronavirus double whammy could possibly be disastrous if it overwhelms the healthcare system. An estimated 410,000 to 740,000 Americans have been hospitalized with the flu this previous flu season, from October to April, in accordance to the CDC.
Wen stated the flu shot is about 40% to 60% efficient. But even when you do get the flu after having been vaccinated, the flu shot “still reduces your chance of having severe effects from the flu.”
And sure, it’s doable to have the flu and Covid-19 on the identical time.
WHAT’S IMPORTANT TODAY
The White House coronavirus outbreak is spreading
Trump abruptly scraps coronavirus stimulus talks
Most sufferers hospitalized with Covid-19 have neurological signs
The researchers discovered that total, 82% of the 509 Covid-19 sufferers had neurological signs at any time through the course of their Covid-19 sickness. The most frequent manifestations have been muscle ache, complications, encephalopathy and dizziness.
FDA desires two months of security knowledge earlier than contemplating Covid-19 vaccine
That would make it troublesome, if not unimaginable, for any vaccine maker to apply for emergency use authorization by Election Day, as President Trump has prompt, or by the tip of October, because the CEO of Pfizer has hinted.
ON OUR RADAR
- Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, is getting the action figure treatment.
- Vermont is battling a Covid-19 outbreak amongst migrant workers at an apple orchard.
- Anheuser-Busch is sending 6,500 gallons of hand sanitizer to Texas for Election Day.
- A person escaped coronavirus quarantine in South Korea by digging a hole underneath a temporary wall at a authorities facility in Seoul — at some point earlier than he was due to be launched.
- Singapore will pay citizens to have a baby through the pandemic.
- Apple’s new face masks emoji is now hiding a smile.
TODAY’S TOP TIP
With every little thing going on this 12 months, psychological well being has grow to be a serious focus for employers, and a few firms are rising their choices to assist their employees keep wholesome amid a lot uncertainty.
- Scheduling meeting-free occasions
- Increasing entry to skilled assist
- Offering apps and subscriptions
- Being candid and empathetic
“Every rally, every protest — it doesn’t matter — if you’re gathering together in a large group of people, there has almost certainly been transmission.” — Erin Bromage, CNN Medical Analyst